Beth Torah Congregation
Executive Director – Beth Torah Congregation
About Beth Torah Congregation
Beth Torah Congregation serves the spiritual, communal, and educational needs of 300+ families with warmth and vibrancy. Existing at the nexus of tradition and modernity, we offer the wisdom of the ages gleaned from the Torah while speaking to the concerns of our congregants with relevance and meaning.
The Executive Director leads and supports the mission and values of Beth Torah, collaborating with the Board, Clergy, Staff, and other lay leaders to establish strategies, goals and programs for the ongoing successful operation of the congregation.
Working under the direct supervision of the President and Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the congregation’s operations, including direct supervisory responsibility for the office and support staff and all administrative, accounting and maintenance functions, as well as outside contractors.
Areas of Responsibility
- Administration and Operations:
- Responsible for all ongoing synagogue operations and providing logistical support to the clergy and staff consistent with the synagogue’s priorities and vision.
- Supervises personnel and oversees overall office administration.
- Manages all internal operating and software systems, including ShulCloud.
- Provides administrative support to the Board of Directors and committees.
- Manages building issues and security, including overseeing security procedures, systems and physical enhancements, and management of third-party security services.
- Oversees the use of kosher kitchen, including caterer coordination.
- Manages contracts and vendor relationships.
- Finances and Human Resources:
- Understands financial management and accounting principles and ensures that fiscal controls and procedures are adhered to.
- Implements shul policies for allocation and distribution of funds.
- Supervises and evaluates administrative staff.
- Prepares annual budget in consultation with the Treasurer and staff
- Reviews monthly financial reports and provides analysis for the Treasurer, President and appropriate committees.
- Oversees payments to vendors and reviews payroll.
- Maintains employee files, ensures annual personnel reviews are conducted, coordinates annual updating of relevant financial and HR policies and ensures that administrative job descriptions are current.
- Events and High Holy Days:
- Responsible for all logistics and administrative tasks for High Holy Days.
- Includes coordination of external vendors, staff assignments and lay leadership involvement.
- Designs, implements, and oversees all events scheduled at Beth Torah throughout the year.
- Membership & Development:
- Coordinates the annual membership renewal process and cultivation of membership donations.
- Attends Beth Torah services and programs, as reasonable, to support member engagement and facilitate community building.
- Marketing and Communications:
- Creates synagogue communications, including website, social media, electronic and print communications. Helps to promote Beth Torah in the larger community by representing Beth Torah at appropriate community, regional, and national groups or organizations.
The Executive Director must possess excellent skills in interpersonal communication to facilitate working with a Conservative congregation spanning all ages and styles of Jewish practice; a solid foundation in fiscal and facilities management; managing/mentoring mid-level personnel and team building.
- At least three years of experience as a senior manager/administrator or executive director
- Knowledge of financial management systems, including financial planning and budgeting, accounting systems and controls, financial reporting and analysis
- Knowledge of human resource management, with demonstrated success in managing, motivating and developing office and maintenance staff
- Experience in facility administration, outside contracting for services, and negotiations with vendors and contractors
- Knowledge of computer and web-based systems and social media to support administration, events, membership and marketing
- Experience with volunteer and event management
- Self-starter and creative problem solver with strong interpersonal and organizational skills, including communicating effectively (both orally and in writing) and efficiently prioritizing responsibilities. Must be able to take the initiative to improve how work is done
- Enthusiastic, organized, highly motivated, responsible, courteous, flexible and creative.
- Familiarity with Israeli and Jewish rituals, customs and holiday celebrations, or a willingness to learn
- The Executive Director must participate in local and national organizations as it relates to professional development, and the ability to network with other administrators in the field
- Compensation- Beth Torah Congregation offers a competitive salary. More specific information on salary and benefits will be provided to candidates invited to interview.
- Application Process- Interested applicants should send the following in PDF format to [email protected]: resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org