The Danforth Jewish Circle
The Danforth Jewish Circle is seeking an Executive Director
The DJC is a joyous, inclusive, accessible, inspiring, and musical downtown Jewish community. The DJC has created a fresh, egalitarian vision of Jewish community, learning, and spiritual practice.
Our members include singles and families of all ages who come from diverse Jewish backgrounds and cultural traditions, interfaith and intercultural families, and the full spectrum of sexual orientations and gender identities. Together we share a desire to learn, question, and foster a warm, welcoming and supportive Jewish community, focused on social justice.
We are an egalitarian, unaffiliated community that is part of a larger progressive Jewish movement. We share in the rich wisdom and inspiration of Jewish tradition and culture while seeking to challenge, explore, and reinterpret it. We are seeking a part time Executive Director to help lead the DJC in fulfilling and expanding our vision.
This is a part time, 60%, 3-days/week position. As the Executive Director, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in the life of our community by taking on responsibility for the overall management and operations of the organization. You will draw on your leadership skills to enhance our sustainability and guide the organization into the next stages of our growth.
In this role, you will be focused on:
- Working as part of the senior leadership team with the Rabbi and Director of Education
- Overseeing financial processes
- Seeking funding opportunities and grants to support the DJC
- Supporting and working in partnership with DJC staff and the Board around contracts and other HR related issues
- Community engagement
- Acting as the primary liaison for our Multi-Faith Commons
- Growing DJC membership
What you will do:
- Collaborate – With staff, the Board, our Multi-Faith Commons and our community partners. You will work alongside the Rabbi and the Director of Education in developing and executing future programming.
- Manage – Oversee all administrative staff and operations. Oversee all expenditures related to funding streams and balancing budgets. Oversee weekly/monthly/annual calendar of events.
- Cultivate – Proactively involved in community outreach and develop good relationships with DJC staff and members, Multi-Faith Commons partners, DJC Board, and other Toronto synagogue ED’s.
- A minimum of 5 years senior professional management experience.
- Understanding of and respect for Jewish religious practices in a diverse and progressive synagogue.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, engage, and manage a small sized community based organization.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and video streaming & conferencing software.
- Facility with modern systems for member relations and communications. (We use ShulCloud).
- Solid understanding of HR, financial, and fundraising processes.
- Passion to promote an inclusive, accessible, and supportive culture.
- Demonstrated experience in community engagement, outreach, successful grant writing, and partnership development.
- Willingness to wear many hats and carry out other duties as necessary for the success of the congregation’s activities.
- Experience in a Jewish community or other not-for-profit organization is a bonus.
- Initiative, creativity and strong organizational skills.
What We Offer:
- A supportive, creative, and collaborative working environment
- Strong support from our Board and DJC staff
- Work life balance
- An opportunity to be part of a growing, diverse, and egalitarian Jewish community
- The position is 60%, 3 days/week, with a salary of $54,000.00
- The position starts Nov 1, 2021
Application InstructionsInterested applicants should submit a cover letter describing their interest and a current resume to [email protected] . Deadline for application is Aug 31, 2021. We hope to be interviewing in person on Sept 22 & 23, 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org