Fire Safety-Property Specialist, REENA
Who Are We:
Reena (www.reena.org) is a non-profit organization that has provided community services for people with developmental disabilities while promoting dignity, individuality, independence, personal growth and community inclusion within a framework of Jewish culture and values since 1973. Reena advocates for people, and supports individuals to develop spiritually, feel a connection and sense of belonging to their roots, culture and community, but also encourages the expression of everyone’s culture and religious roots, regardless of background and denomination.
As member of the Property Department, the Fire Safety-Property Specialist ensures that all locations and properties are in compliance with all applicable municipal, provincial and federal by-laws. That all efforts to protect the well being of individuals we support, staff , volunteers and families is made while ensuring and protecting the rights and independence of all the individuals that we support. A primary focus will be on safety and security, in particular Fire Code compliance and the position will be accountable for making sure that all applicable Ontario Fire Code requirements are met. Reena reserves the right to reassign this position to a different location due to operational needs.
- Coordinate with external parties all Annual Fire Department Inspections; ensure the resolution of compliance related issues and is responsible for providing Ministries with letters of compliance and any necessary follow-up.
- Create, prepare, implement and coordinate all mandatory Fire Drill Scenario inspections for all sights identified as care occupancies and train location staff on the basics of Fire Safety.
- Assist with all aspects required in preparing Fire Safety Plans. Prepare and submit Fire Safety Plans for approval by the Fire Department.
- Responsible for proactively making sure all applicable building codes are met and any required follow-up is done.
- Required to keep up-to-date on all applicable municipal, provincial and federal by-laws to ensure ongoing compliance and to assist with any changes required and ensuring these changes are instituted and maintained.
- Develop standards, guidelines and practices for regular property review that will suggest improvements that support both strategic business goals, organizational mandates and allow for individual inclusion into the community.
- Proactively prepare sights ahead of scheduled Ministry inspections; including but not limited to the Ministry of Community and Social Services and the Ministry of Children and Youth Services.
- Arrange for building deficiency repairs. Including but not limited to; sprinkler upgrades, changing of storage tanks, and re-inspections.
- Responsible for overseeing on-going contracts for property related items and ensuring to liaise, communicate and keep up-to-date all necessary stakeholders in a timely manner to allow for sufficient running of operations.
- Respond to alleged violations of municipal regulations, orders, policies and procedures.
- Consult with outside contractors and consultants as required to resolve notices of deficiencies and notices of violations.
- Develop compliance communication program (staff training) for the organization, involving, but not be limited to, Fire Safety, Health and Safety guidelines; coordinated with any existing training and the Learning & Development Department.
- Responsible for all MPAC realty tax re-assessment applications and questionnaires.
- Liaise with internal stakeholders and work with them in a team setting in order to meet the required duties of the position. These internal stakeholders include but are not limited to, Reena Property Department, Reena Learning & Development Department, all Reena staff in program related areas, Reena Foundation, and Batay Reena.
- Completion of Diploma in Fire Protection Engineering Technician or equivalent knowledge and experience
- 1-2 years of experience working in Fire Safety
- Fire Safety Certification
- Knowledge of non-profit sector and government benefits (preferred)
- Superior communication; written, oral and interpersonal skills with the ability to work and communicate in both a professional manner and effectively with staff at all levels, external stakeholders and the community
- Strong computer skills; proficient in all MS office programs and property databases
- Organized, ability to multi-task, self-starter, creative and innovative
- Strong capacity to think critically, make good decisions and problem solve
- Reena is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources.
- Salary: From $70,000.00 per year
- Benefits: Dental care, vision care, On-site parking and more
- Schedule: Full time, Monday-Friday, 8 hour shift, Monday to Friday & Weekend availability
- Work remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org