Website The Schwartz/Reisman Centre and the Prosserman JCC (The J)
WELCOME TO THE J!
The Schwartz/Reisman Centre and the Prosserman JCC (commonly known as and referred to as “the J”) are vibrant and welcoming hubs that connect people to Jewish community and inspire meaningful and healthy lifestyles. The Jack and Pat Kay Centre Camp is proud to be one of the many departments within the J. As primary destinations of Jewish engagement, the J strengthens individuals and families through its dynamic program offerings. The J programs, services and connections support a diverse and thriving Jewish community and provide a sense of belonging and identity. Through this work, the J models a world in which, more than ever, Jewish wisdom is valued; differences are respected; communities are built; creativity is encouraged; and aspirations are realized in exciting and powerful ways. In our mind, the staff experience is just as important as the camper experience. We are here to provide you with a rewarding and fun opportunity to develop your own life skills, build your resume with meaningful experiences, and expanding your social circle with other amazing staff and community members.
The Jack and Pat Kay Centre Camp Philosophy
As a team, we strive to create an atmosphere of adventure, creativity, friendship and unity within a safe and secure Jewish camp environment. We provide every camper and staff member with a sense of community, unforgettable memories and a connection to the state of Israel that lasts a lifetime.
Camp counsellors are responsible for taking on the role as parents to our campers from the moment they arrive to camp, to the moment they are back in the hands of their family. With your enthusiasm and excitement, and our training and development program, you will be looking after a group of campers, taking them to daily activities as scheduled including swim, interacting with campers and encouraging them in a positive manner and assisting them to participate and complete activities where needed. This is a role that is designed to be nurturing and fun, so that everyone feels welcome and excited about camp.
YOUR DIRECT SUPERVISOR AND OUR SUPPORTIVE TEAM
This position reports directly to the Unit Head. Additionally, we are fortunate to have a very dedicated and experienced Leadership Team and Directing Team who are on board to provide you with guidance and support beginning from the moment you sign your contract, all the way through to the end of the summer. We are here to assist you in having a successful and meaningful experience working with our campers and fellow staff members. We encourage all of our team members to learn from one another, together, all summer long.
- Always put forward your best effort.
- If you are unsure about something always ask questions, as no matter how experienced you are in this position, you will always learn something new and develop upon your skills.
- Exhibit a positive attitude and open mind from the start to the end of each day.
- Demonstrate reasonable flexibility, as sometimes we need to make changes and alterations to better serve our campers and their families.
- Exhibit a high level of enthusiasm, energy, and camp spirit – have fun!
- Follow all of the policies and procedures of the The Jack and Pat Kay Centre Camp, Prosserman JCC and the Schwartz/Reisman Centre as outlined in this job description, your contract, the staff handbook (to be provided before staff training), and additional material shared with you as needed.
- Always communicate in an appropriate manor, taking the environment of young children who are always listening AND repeating everything they hear at camp when they go home every evening.
- Be a positive role model and mentor for campers and fellow staff.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- General Responsibilities
- Identify and meet the camper’s needs
- Supervise all aspects of each camper’s day
- Perform at your highest potential as a member of the greater Centre Camp staff team
- Interaction with Campers
- Get to know every camper well and respond to their individual needs
- Develop an appropriate counselor/camper relationship (as if you are the parent of your campers while they are in your care)
- Be a role model for your campers and the general camp population
- Be able to encourage, support, and set limits for each camper
- Be aware and effectively address the group and social dynamics of the campers
- Safety and Care
- Be safety conscious at all times
- Make sure that every camper’s basic needs are met
- Be aware of the campers physical and emotional health
- Participation and Planning of Programs (including CIPs – Counsellor Initiated Programming)
- Actively and enthusiastically participate and facilitate campers in all specialties and camp programming
- With co-counselors, develop and implement age appropriate CIPs each week using the Program Planning Form as a base (all programs at camp require a completed and approved Program Planning Form prior to the program running).
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning, and leading those assigned
- Participate in any special programs that may occur outside of the camp day as assigned by the Camp Director or his designate
- Keep lines of communication open and positive throughout the summer with your co-staff and the Unit Head
- Inform the Unit Head immediately of any concerns with campers so that proper action can be taken
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- A positive attitude
- A responsible approach
- An enthusiastic personality
- Enjoys working with children and other peers
- Completing Grade 10 or higher
- More Information: https://www.centrecamp.ca/staff/
- Apply: www.centrecamp.ca/apply
- Questions: [email protected]
- Deadline: May 31, 2021
- This Job Description is not intended to be all-inclusive but is intended to be a generalized guide for the job duties. The Camp Director or his designate may change the job responsibilities and job expectations based on the business requirements, at any point before or during your contracted term. This position is also intended to comply with the greater vision of the Prosserman JCC and Schwartz/Reisman Centre.
- By signing your Contract of Employment, you have read and understood this Job Description and accept the core tenets outlined above as what is expected of you during your employment with The Jack and Pat Kay Centre Camp.
To apply for this job please visit www.centrecamp.ca.