Street Outreach Worker
Are you seeking deeply meaningful hands-on work?
This is an opportunity for someone who wants to be part of a passionate growing team transforming people’s lives.
As a frontline Outreach Worker, you are the face of Ve’ahavta to our clients who are facing homelessness and poverty. The outreach team performs life-saving work through the provision of essential supplies, support, and referrals for our clients.
The outreach van program operates 7 days per week (Monday-Saturday 2pm-12am and 1 daytime shift Sundays 10am – 8:00pm) in downtown Toronto and Scarborough. The Outreach Worker works four 10-hour shifts per week, in which they facilitate the distribution of essential supplies such as food, coffee, clothing, hygiene products, and harm reduction supplies to individuals experiencing homelessness. The Outreach Worker also provides supportive services and referrals to other community organizations as needed. Most importantly, the Outreach Worker is a consistent and reliable source of support and caring for individuals in our society who need it most.
As this program is also a hands-on volunteer opportunity in which each shift includes the participation of 3-4 volunteers, including youth, the Outreach Worker also has the unique opportunity to educate and engage community members about the issues of homelessness, raising awareness and a sense of agency amongst the general community.
- Post-secondary education in social services or related field
- Demonstrated experience with an understanding of homelessness, marginalized populations, including those experiencing mental illness and addictions
- Demonstrated experience in crisis intervention and services
- Thorough understanding of harm reduction practices
- Knowledge of community/social services, particularly in areas of mental health, corrections, housing and health, in order to do appropriate referrals
- Proactive and “hands on” approach to meet program objectives and accomplish assigned tasks and projects with minimal supervision
- Hold a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Ability to carry up to 25 lbs. to manage the supplies and clothing bins
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule
*Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening, and clear Driver’s Abstract provided by the Ministry of Transportation.
- If you are ready to embark on an adventure where every day brings new challenges and opportunities to transform lives, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the title "Outreach Worker’’ in the subject line.
- Eligible candidates will be contacted as applications come in, and the successful candidate will
- We thank all interested applicants but can only respond to those selected for an interview.
- Ve’ahavta is an equal opportunity employer that values equity, diversity, and inclusion. All
To apply for this job please visit veahavta.org.